Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Normally I just bitch when I write in this blog and roll my eyes at the Thanksgiving-themed remarks people are making on Facebook, about everything they're thankful for, but I feel like I need to pitch in my own gratitude post.

Thanksgiving dinner tends to be quite low-key at my house. Today my mom put together stuffing, can-shaped cranberry sauce, real mashed potatoes and my dad prepared the turkey for the oven and pulled it apart when it was time to eat. We don't have an accessible dinner table, or even a television to sit around while we eat. And I'm totally okay with that.
When our meal was ready to eat today my mom and dad, and my brother and I all shuffled around the kitchen with our plates to load up on whatever we wanted to eat. Personally, I left with kitchen with one large chunk of white meat and a cup of generic brand apple juice. I ate it on my bed while working on FamilySearch Indexing.
I've been craving Pillsbury biscuits for days so I'll probably make some later.
Also, I can't smell anything today because I have a mutant strand of the cold and it is no longer afraid of cold medicine.

A massively incomplete list of things I'm thankful for:

  • my own laptop
  • a Minecraft account
  • a little brother
  • a big brother
  • big sisters who don't betray my trust
  • snacks
  • clothing that I pick out myself
  • hand-me-around clothing
  • home internet access
  • Burt's Bees
  • unhole-y socks
  • close-toed shoes
  • flip-flops
  • genealogy
  • The LDS church
  • modern prophets
  • revelation
  • being open-minded and accepting
  • being empathic
  • being able to read
  • opportunities to do good
  • winter clothing(gloves, hats, coats)
  • student loans
  • access to higher education
  • loving friends and neighbors
  • loving my friends, neighbors and family
  • body positivity
  • a furnace in my home
  • my own room
  • my own bed
  • modern medicine
  • clean drinking water
  • public transportation
  • knowing when and what my next meal is
  • LDS Church welfare

No comments: