Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Oh, Mother.

My mother woke me up this morning to ask how I was feeling. "Still sick" was my irritated reply.
Her follow-up was "Are you going to work?" That was far more bothersome. Just yesterday she expressed her concern that I had been missing too much work, which had only one real consequence to me, and that was a smaller paycheck. To her, though, she not only worries that I won't be able to afford the $200/mo rent that I pay, but that my employer will fire me for missing so much work. I realized recently that my income is roughly the same as my mom's and dad's combined. Their only income is from retirement, social security, unemployment.
So my mother has three consistent concerns with my life: money, men, and mass.
I just have to clarify that I wanted to use an M word for fatness/obesity and that's what I came up with.
Yesterday while en route to my Weight Solutions group at WMH I tried to open up to her about a guy that I have been emailing. The first question she always asks is whether he's LDS. That seems to be all that matters to her. I tried to tell her that religion does not make a man but she wholeheartedly disagreed.
There's so much I can't tell her. She's too closed-minded to not be offended and heartbroken.
I ran out of words. Bye for now.

No comments: